The London Humanist Choir (LHC) is the UK's foremost exclusively secular choir, and we are looking for a new Musical Director from January 2023 to succeed Laurel Neighbour who is stepping down after ten years.
We are a friendly, non-auditioned choir focused on promoting Humanism in the arts, and are part of Humanists UK. As a community choir, our singers range from novice non-readers to well-trained musicians who come together to sing to a fairly high musical standard. Our repertoire is wide-ranging, including modern choral pieces, pop, folk and original works. You can hear a sample on our YouTube channel.
This is a growth year for the choir, both in terms of recruitment and raising our profile, and we are looking for someone who can lead us through this transition and stay with the choir for several years. Primary duties include:
- Prepare and direct weekly Tuesday evening rehearsals near Euston and Kings Cross/St Pancras Stations
- Conduct concerts throughout the year (see our performance schedule below)
- Select repertoire
- Help prepare audio rehearsal tracks
- Further develop the choir’s musical abilities
- Collaborate with the committee to help organise concerts and other events
- Attend one committee meeting per full term
You will be supported in rehearsal and performances by a professional piano accompanist. We have an active committee that manages the choir with the support of our parent charity Humanists UK.
- Experience conducting and leading a choir
- Commitment and enthusiasm to guide and develop the choir
- Able to create an atmosphere of enjoyment and passion for music making in rehearsals and concerts
- Have an understanding of the humanist ethos and able to select and perform non-religious music exclusively
- Professional, well organised and reliable
Performances & Events
We organise two concerts each year:
- Our annual One Life concert at Conway Hall (end of June) that showcases the music we have learned throughout the year and features guest comedians
- A December pub singalong
We typically take part in other events, about one every 6-week half-term. Past events have included:
- Humanist UK events:
- Defence Humanists Remembrance Day (November)
- Trans Remembrance (November)
- Darwin Day (February)
- Festivals and Events (typically one or two per year):
- Brighton Fringe (May)
- Faiths in Tune
- Brandenburg Festival
- Common and Kind
- Choirs at the Tower
- Community events (typically one or two per year):
- NHS Trusts
- Somerstown Festival at the British Library
- Busking for charity (Dec)
- We sometimes travel for a multi-day event at the end of summer
- Edinburgh Fringe
- Stavanger, Norway for joint concert with Humus Choir
This is an independent contractor role. We pay a per-service rate for rehearsals and performances plus a term preparation fee. Remuneration will be negotiated with the successful candidate, consistent with their skills and experience. The choir is funded by member donations and we strive to pay fair professional fees within our budget.
How to Apply
Please send your CV along with an introduction of yourself and why you are interested in working with the London Humanist Choir and links to some of your work.
Submit your application or any queries to our Chair, Laurie Tvedt, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be accepted until Sunday 11 September. We will select a shortlist of candidates for interviews, then invite the top three candidates to work with the choir for part of a Tuesday evening rehearsal.